Halloween has really SKYROCKETED in popularity over the past decade or so... especially if you live at Dan's house.
The National Retail Federation just released its annual report on Halloween, and this year, Americans are going to spend $9.1 BILLION... which is up 8.3% from last year, and an all-time record.
That's also almost THREE TIMES more than 2005, when we spent $3.3 billion. So if you use our spending as a sign of how much we like Halloween, that means it's tripled in popularity in 12 years.
So how will we spend all that money this year?
- $3.4 billion will go to costumes
- $2.7 billion on candy
- $2.7 billion on decorations
- $410 million on greeting cards
The study also found that:
- 71% of people plan on handing out candy this year
- 49% will decorate their house
- 48% will wear a costume
- 46% will carve a pumpkin
- 35% will go to a party
- 31% will take their kids trick-or-treating.
From NRF.com - HALLOWEEN SPENDING TO REACH RECORD $9.1 BILLION